NHJ April issues survey results

Granite Staters have no interest repealing the death penalty, or the controversial Common Core education standards, if The New Hampshire Journal’s online April issues survey is any indication.

A total of 657 respondents weighed in on the aforementioned issues, as well as a proposed gas tax hike and the rollout of Republican Walt Havenstein’s bid for governor.

On the death penalty, 58.14 percent said they opposed a repeal, while 41.86 percent support.

On the gas tax, 59.82 percent said they wouldn’t support an increase while 40.18 percent said they would.

The opposition spiked considerably on Common Core; 69 percent of respondents said they oppose the education standards while 31 percent expressed support.

Assessing Havenstein’s announcement merited a different structure, and the reviews were hardly flattering to the newly-minted candidate.

On a scale of 1-5, with 1 being the best, just 27 percent gave the rollout a top tier rating of 1 or 2. The remaining 73 percent scored it between 3-5, with 32 percent saying 3, 15 percent 4, and 26 percent the bottom of the barrel.

The dip in overall responses is noteworthy on the Havenstein question.

While all 657 respondents answered the first three issue questions in the survey, 115 opted against responding to an evaluation of the Republican’s announcement, leaving the total there at 542.

Also of note – the comments left by readers. A common thread from survey-takers was that they’d simply never heard of him, with comments ranging from a simple “never heard of him” to “Who? Need I say more?”

The full survey results, which was conducted from April 17-22, can be viewed below:

NHJ April 2014 Survey Results (1)

Author: Staff Reporter

Share This Post On
468 ad
  • JL

    You only got 657 responses in a state with a population of 1.36 million. How can you possibly give any credibility to the results. Your base was not random, by any stretch of the imagination. Although I agree with the results, I would suggest that you do a survey that reflects the opinions of the entire population of New Hampshire. This would be much more helpful for making judgments about the political future of candidates in this State.